As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Lounge Re:what are you listening too lately (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re:what are you listening too lately
Yoshi
@0n0n3
MNM
OT
X0xb0x
Monotribe
Re:what are you listening too lately 10 Years, 11 Months ago
polyslax wrote:
bonde wrote:
'Immunity' by Jon Hopkins. Seriously good stuff.

+1 Picked this up last night... really enjoying.

I picked this up last night too!! That and Diamond Mines - poles apart equally endearing

Must be the bleep recommendations page
  The topic has been locked.
Some jazz, like:

John Coltrane - Meditations
John Coltrane - Interstellar Space
Albert Ayler - Spiritual Unity

My plan this summer is to educate myself on some jazz and prog rock, going through some "100 greatest jazz/prog rock albums of all time"-type of lists.
Killer Beez
monomachine mk2, Analog 4, boss dr110
actress rip
Gil Scott heron -whole discog
atom tm - hd
atom tm wintereise
Chain Chomp
MarsMelons - netlabel for experimental music

esmone - my drawings and cover art
DIGIV051: [PHYSICS] “SPECTRAMORPHIC IRIDESCENCE”

Incredibly good, as per usual, when it comes to Digitalis releases.
Barfunkel wrote:
Some jazz, like:

John Coltrane - Meditations
John Coltrane - Interstellar Space
Albert Ayler - Spiritual Unity

Adding to that, The Peter Brotzmann Octet - Machine Gun.

For some strange reason I find free jazz a lot easier to get into than it's smoother cousins. Normal jazz somehow sounds more distant, I find it easier to connect with emotionally when the music sounds chaotic and a bit dangerous.
Killer Beez
monomachine mk2, Analog 4, boss dr110
try miles Davis live in Japan agharta
I know it's got it's own thread below...but since Tomorrow's Harvest landed with me on Saturday ( I wasn't expecting it until today ... ) I've just hammered that. It's BOC's best album, IMHO. Incredible.

I bought the Jon Hopkins CD for a mate's birthday present, along with Old Apparatus - 'Compendium' as both sounded sick from what I heard, so I'm rather hoping said old friend will do me a copy of both of these.
Chain Chomp
A man's opportunities are never exhausted so long as other men (who are not his friends) possess millions of acres and thousands of tons of gold.
60s hip musical masturbation jazz, no feeling or heart or groove or anything worthwhile, just a bunch of soulless musicans doing on their instruments what Mariah carry or Christian agulara do with their voice....l it's technically proficient but who the bells cares, it's terrible.
dionysiananarchy wrote:
60s hip musical masturbation jazz, no feeling or heart or groove or anything worthwhile, just a bunch of soulless musicans doing on their instruments what Mariah carry or Christian agulara do with their voice....l it's technically proficient but who the bells cares, it's terrible.

Was that a response to my post? Ie. John Coltraine, Albert Ayler and Peter Brötzmann?

I'm not in any way a jazz expert, in fact I know little to nothing about it. Those were just a few examples of the jazz I've liked the most lately. To me they sound extremely emotional and passionate (ie. the opposite of soulless). I've tried getting into more smoother forms of jazz (like Kind Of Blue), but I find it much harder to listen to, at least for a novice like me. Maybe it takes a few years of intense listening to learn to appreciate that kind of jazz.

But, like I said, I know nothing about jazz. Just a personal preference of a jazz-novice.

Edit: I suppose it's a bit same as noise music, or black metal. Sometimes it's fun to listen to more extreme stuff, to balance out the smooth deep house I mostly listen to.

And speaking of black metal, I'm just listening to Immortal.
Chain Chomp
The Twilight Singers - Dynamite Steps

It took me about 10 playthroughs before it grabbed me, weird because I fell for all their previous work the instant I heard it. It is a very good record and if you're into moody, bluesy, jazzy, poppy, triphoppy rock with electronics you will like it too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWoe6S0LMLQ
Go to top Post Reply